This recipe results in a somewhat quirky loaf that falls somewhere between a heavy cake and a very serious shortbread. One slice will go a long way, and is best spread with a bit of salted butter.
- 1 lb. sugar 1/2 lb. sugar (1 cup) 1/2 cup sugar
- half ounce allspice 1/4 ounce allspice 1/2 Tbs. allspice
- 4 quarts flour (16 cups) 8 cups flour 4 cups flour
- 1 lb. butter 1/2 lb. butter 1 stick butter, melted into
- 1 pint milk 1 cup milk 1/2 cup milk
- 9 eggs 4 eggs 2 eggs
- 1 gill emptins 2 oz. emptins 1 oz. emptins
- seed seeds 2 Tbs. seeds
- currants currants 1/2 cup currants or chopped raisins
These instructions are for the quarter batch, Bake at 350 F for 1-1 1/2 hours, or until it’s slightly brown on top.