No matter how many times I look through a draft of an upcoming cookbook, there’s always something I miss. A bevy of editors and assistants usually catches those mistakes, but not always! To simplify matters, I’ve added this section, organized by cookbook, of errata I know about, and the the corrections that should appear in later editions.
I’m sure I’ve missed some, so please let me know if you’ve found one that isn’t on the list!
Feast of Ice and Fire:
- Historical Lemoncakes – the amount of liquid needed will depend largely on the size of your eggs. Add a little extra lemon juice or water until you have a dough that is firm but not dry or crumbly.
World of Warcraft:
- Flaky Pie Dough: For the Bloodberry Tart: Add 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and replace ¼ cup of the flour with almond meal.
- Dragonbreath Chili – many early editions list “1 teaspoon” among the ingredients. Instead of throwing your whole spoon in, add 1 tsp. each ground cinnamon and cocoa powder.
- Steaming Chicken Soup – the “and oil” should be taken out of the first line of instructions. The peas should go in near the end of cooking, about the same time as the dumplings.
- Mana Buns – some readers have reported needing considerably more liquid for the dough. FYI. Also, for the section on the glaze, the butter should be melted along with the brown sugar. The directions also say “milk” but the ingredient is cream. So: “Melt the brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, then stir in the flour until you have no dry lumps. Pour the cream in, and when you have a smooth consistency, remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- For Sweet Potato Bread, “Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Using a sharp knife, pierce the sweet potatoes several times, then place in the oven, directly on the rack.” Then in the next paragraph, “Scoop the sweet potatoes out of their skins into a medium bowl and discard the skins.” And finally, a “splash” of bourbon for the topping.
- Forest Strider Drumsticks – “Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with foil. Rinse the turkey legs and pat them dry. Mix together all the dry ingredients for the rub. Lightly brush the turkey legs with balsamic vinegar, then apply the rub. Place the coated legs on the baking sheet.”
- Savory Deviate Delight – should be 3 tilapia fillets and a pinch each salt and pepper in the ingredients. Then, in the second paragraph: “In a separate pan, add a dash of oil, then roast the corn and red pepper for a few minutes until they begin to brown, then add the splash of vinegar. Stir for another 30 seconds, and remove from heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.”
- Bloodberry Tart – the quantity of the raspberries should have come down to 10oz. in the ingredients. Powdered pectin has worked better in my tests. The baking time also comes down to about 40 minutes. This is also the most recent version of the first paragraph of instructions (the poking with a fork is important): “Make up the batch of pie dough with appropriate additions, according to the recipe on page 22. Roll out to about 1/8” thickness, then drape over a 9” tart tin. Gently press the dough into the pan, and trim off any excess. Poke the bottom all over with a fork to keep the dough from bubbling up while it bakes, then place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes while you make the filling.”
- Dalaran Brownie – should specify baking cocoa. Also, first instructions: “Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and grease an 8 x 8 inch pan. Lay a strip of parchment paper across the pan to help lift out the baked brownies.”
- Versicolor Treat – the salt should also go into the instructions: “In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar…”
- Honey Brittle – there is no amount listed for the water, but you can just add a splash. It’s to help the sugar start melting.
Not yet released!
Not yet released!
Star Wars, Galaxy’s Edge:
Not yet released!