Braised Apples

“The last course was goat cheese served with baked apples. The scent of cinnamon filled the hall as Osney Kettleblack slipped in to kneel once more between them.” – A Clash of Kings

This dish comes via reader Vinz, who suggested this recipe for the snippet from the book almost a year ago. I had always imagined them as whole baked apples, like the two recipes that went into the cookbook, and had pretty much written off the quote.

I am so glad to have tried this new version.

The apples cook until just tender, while the juices and butter combine to make that gooey, drippy, awesome sauce you see in the photo. Crunch of nuts, tang of goat cheese, bite of spices. I used walnuts, and some long pepper, which has a sharper but faster taste than ordinary black pepper.

The recipe technically makes enough for two, but I will admit to eating it all myself in a single sitting. It was awesome. I have no regrets.

Braised Apples with Goat Cheese

Time: ~20 minutes     Serves: 1+

• 2 apples, cored and sliced into eighths
  • 2 Tbs. salted butter
  • 1 1/2 cup cider
  • 4 oz. goat cheese
  • 2 Tbs. honey
  • currants, nuts, etc. for topping
  • pinch each cinnamon, ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Melt the butter in a skillet or frying pan and saute the apple slices, flipping them so they are coated with butter. Do this for 2-3 minutes, then pour over 1 cup of the cider. Simmer gently, stopping just shy of the apples going mushy. When they still have some body to them, scoop out the slices and place on a baking sheet, preferably lined with a silicone pad or parchment paper.

Sprinkle goat cheese over top, and place in the oven until the cheese starts to melt. While the apples are cooking, add the honey, remaining cider, nuts/dried fruits, and spices to the pan. Reduce down until the sauce starts to thicken, then remove from heat. When the apples come out, arrange them in serving dishes and spoon the sauce over. Sprinkle with a dash of extra cinnamon, and devour.

17 Responses to Braised Apples with Cheese

1. ducky says:

This looks amazing! I will be making this soon to ward off the winter!

2. Liz says:

I really dislike goat cheese. Any suggestions for a substitution?

3. A_Boleyn says:

Is this a dessert or a sweet/savoury side dish? It looks very pretty though and the combination of cinnamon and black pepper give it a nice spicy finish.

4. ebfulham says:

Got my dad to make this for dinner when I visited the other night — easy, tasty, quick — a total hit!

5. Laura says:

How long do you leave the apples in the oven? Planning on making these tonight to accompany some pork chops.

6. foxnamed says:

Hi! What kind of apples do you recommend using?

• Vinz says:

I would recommend you to take, if you like it, acid apples, (like the queen of the pippin). I think they’re the best for braised apples or cooked as a side with meat and all.. or melting apples (like the golden russet) but it’ll be more of a compote than apple slices ^^’.
      You can also take a look at the following link :)

7. Ekena says:

Hi ! What are the “Tbs” and the “oz” for ? And how many is the cup of cider ? I’m french so I’m not familiar with these words.
    Thanks for the recipe by the way, I’ll be trying it as soon as I know which spoon use for the butter and the honey ;) !

8. Ingrid says:

Since I can’t go home for Passover this year, I was thinking of making this as a dessert or a side for a holiday dinner-for-one! In keeping with the whole not consuming yeast thing (and the fact that I generally don’t keep much alcohol around the house), do you have any substitutes for apple cider to recommend? Would apple juice by itself work, or would you need something with more acid?

• PatW says:

I suspect she may mean unfiltered sweet cider (unfermented), so apple juice would work perfectly. It’s sold in most supermarkets in the US as apple cider. Taste your sauce and add a splash of vinegar or lemon if it seems too sweet.

9. Vinz says:

I can’t believe I didn’t comment that. I’m very glad you gave it a try (and liked it!). Thank you, I’ll make some very soon ! I’m just wondering what kind of goat cheese I would take… fresh one (so, very mild and won’t melt much) or goat log (a bit sharper and very melty) …. What a shame, I guess I’ll have to try both.. !