Gingerbread Castle-palooza!

I had this thunderbolt of an idea a few weeks ago.

I am going to make a gingerbread version of Castle Black for our holiday party on the 15th.

The online response to the idea was great, and one reader on FB suggested holding a Westerosi Gingerbread contest. I loved the idea, so I’m extending in invitation to all of you wonderfully creative fans to come up with your own Westerosi cookie castle, and share photos online.

In my opinion, the most well known castles stack up thusly:

Simpler

• The Twins
  • Sept at Quiet Isle

Moderate Difficulty

• Riverrun
  • Pyke
  • Dragonstone
  • Castle Black

You’re Nuts

• King’s Landing
  • Winterfell
  • The Eyrie

And if you’re not up for making a castle by yourself, why not make it a party game? Have all your guests bring an assortment of towers, walls, etc, then glue them together with icing. Bam! You’ve just made Harrenhal!

Be sure to send us the photos of your finished castles!

16 thoughts on “Gingerbread Castle-palooza!”

1. ersatzhaderach says:

Easiest difficulty level: Harrenhal

1. Attempt other castle
    2. Fail
    3. Set results on fire

1. Needs Mead says:

Love it! :D

2. Paschendale says:

Haha! ersatzhaderach, you have about my level of skill in this endeavor! I agree it DOES sound like fun, though, and I’d love to see pictures that anybody posts of their attempts.

This is the best idea ever!!

3. Beth Wade says:

Oh. My. Gods.
    This simply MUST be done. MUST! Thank you for inspiring the insanity!

1. Needs Mead says:

Welcome aboard! :D

4. Yvonne Loomis says:

Pyke, The Red Keep, Tower of the Hand, The Tower of Joy, Starfall, the Citadel, Dragonstone… How to choose??? Gingerbread madness!

5. Cat says:

I’ve been thinking about this since you mentioned the Castle Black and having just read through A Storm of Swords, I’m thinking of doing Sansa’s snow sculpture at the Eyrie. Hopefully everything will work out.

1. Needs Mead says:

That’s such a great idea! I can’t wait to see it! :D

1. Cat says:

Thanks! I’ll have to figure out how best to do it. Perhaps making the castle and then covering it with fondant to get that snow-covered look? *thinking face*

6. Charles Tishman says:

Someone make Harrenhal and then use a blowtorch on the frosting for that melty effect.

1. Charles Tishman says:

I swear I looked up and down for the words ‘harrenhal’ before posting, but missed them entirely. What I get for posting with the flu…

7. handvolldackel says:

Have you ever considered not making gingerbread, but German Lebkuchen? I’ve always thought the recipe is very old. I use a Silesian one which requires you to start preparing the dough in August (no kidding), you keep the dough in the fridge or in the pantry (if you have one). You bake it in November, the cookies will be rock hard, like dwarf’s bread. By December, they will be nice and soft. Freshly baked, they taste of nothing much, despite being full of spices, honey and molasses. Matured, they are utterly delightful and will make hundreds of Hänsels climb into the witches’ oven if he just gets another bite.
    Since I usually forget to prepare the dough in summer, I do a modern version which only takes about a week or two, but it’s usually better if you allow the dough to rest as long as possible.

8. Rhaella says:

Why not the gates of Qarth? you can use kamasutra chocolates for the third wall. Or the pyramids of Meereen..or…or the Rock or Highgarden,with some pretty marzipan rosegardens

1. Needs Mead says:

Love it! Those would all be great contenders…

9. Ser James says:

Where did you get the disigns for these structures? The show-open doesn’t gice enough detail and the books don’t offer particularly detailed descriptions. wouls love to try and tackle one of these next Christmas.