Out of all the holidays in the year, I think Thanksgiving might be the best suited to a Westerosi interpretation. As I started building this list, more and more dishes sprang to mind. Thanksgiving, in many families, is characterized by cold weather, a groaning table laden with an absurd amount of food, and inter-family drama. Sound at all familiar?

The list below includes dishes from the blog and cookbook. Personally, I’d eat the heck out of this meal, but how about you? Are you going to smuggle a couple of dishes into your mainstream family’s spread, or are you taking over the holiday completely with Westerosi fare?

Let me know if there’s a Westerosi dish you think I should include in this list, or other Thanksgiving-friendly fictional dishes for Food Through the Pages, and let’s get to scheming!

Game Foods

Stuffed Peppers    -    Hummus & Pita

Stuffed Grapeleaves*    -    Finger Fish*    -    Spicy Wings

To Start

Bread & Salt    –    Leek Soup

The Spread

White Beans & Bacon*    -    Cod Cakes

Buttered Beets*    -    Spiced Squash    -    Turnips in Butter*

Black Beer Bread    -    Oatbread

Honeyed Chicken/Turkey, for a large crowd or Quails drowned in Butter*, for a smaller gathering

Oat Stuffing (forthcoming)    -    Carrot Lime Relish

Desserts

17th C. Pumpkin Pie    -    Fig Tarts

Honeyfingers*    -    Baked Apples*

Drinks

Mulled Wine    -    Wassail    -    Wildling Cider

NB: The * indicates recipes that are in the cookbook. I’ve included them on the list so those of you with the book can consider making those dishes, too! The dishes in italics are forthcoming.

11 Responses to Westerosi Thanksgiving

1. R says:

I tripled the quails in butter recipe to cook 4 turkey thighs (bone in, skin on) for my Canadian Thanksgiving. It was amazing. I also made the pearl onions in gravy, which absolutely stole the show. For the first time in my life, stuffing was the least exciting part of the meal.

2. Alexis says:

I think you should add the duck with cherries and lemons recipe. We are planning on throwing a Game of Thrones Thanksgiving dinner with our friends, and I think we might make the duck recipe instead of a turkey. You could also add a ham recipe, which might be amazing.

3. Rosey says:

There needs to be some tart fruity thing, like a variant of cranberry sauce. Citrus relish?

4. roussefolle says:

Here I found pretty impressive “octopuss pie” recipe :http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette_tielle-setoise_17608.aspx , for those who eat no meat and still want to enjoy feast. And some sweet photo:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=294076210693953&set=a.255349557899952.42614.255332851234956&type=1&theater

Wow, this looks amazing! I’ve missed posting here with my favorite ladies! How are ya’ll doing? :D

6. Jack Carson says:

I made onions in gravy, from the book, for my family’s Thanksgiving. They were a hit. Definitely include them in the spread.