”Tables and benches had been raised outside the pavilions, piled high with sweetgrass and strawberries and fresh-baked bread.” -A Game of Thrones

Strawberries and Sweetgrass | Inn at the Crossroads

Strawberries & Sweetgrass

The first taste of summer, for me, has always been strawberries. If there were a way to further improve upon their juicy goodness, this incredibly simple recipe is it. Each flavor enhances that of the strawberries without treading too heavily. Both lemongrass and ginger are distinct, but work together to compliment the basic goodness of fresh fruit, making strawberries and sweetgrass a winning dessert in my book.

Served alongside a glass of iced mead or cider, this is an instant favorite for warm summer evenings on the porch, or for a winning contribution to a picnic.

Strawberries & Sweetgrass Recipe

Total Prep Time: 10 minutes            Serves: 3-4

• 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup mead or hard cider
  • 1 tsp. grated ginger
  • 1 Tbs. minced lemongrass
  • 1 lb. strawberries

Combine all ingredients except the strawberries in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat for just long enough for the honey and mead to meld together, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Prepare the strawberries by removing the leafy tops, and slice into a large bowl in an assortment of shapes and sizes. Pour the sauce over the sliced fruit and toss to coat. Serve either at room temperature, or chilled. It is especially good with a glass of the same mead or cider with which you made the sauce.

7 Responses to Strawberries and Sweetgrass

1. Bianca S says:

I made this tonight, and I have to say the smell is absolutely out of this world, and the strawberries came out delicious! Only one comment: I think I’ll let the “sauce” infuse over night, then strain it, and then pour it over the strawberries :) I had a bit of trouble with the minced lemongrass, which stayed tough and a bit spicy.

2. Donna says:

I made this last night, and let it sit overnight to dress a salad today (chicken grilled with “firepods”, lime and garlic and a combination of lettuce, micro tatsoi and pea leaves) – DELICIOUS!!! <3

3. Nadia says:

Sounds so easy and very tempting, but I don’t see where I can get lemon grass except growing it myself. Never saw it in stores or farms, maybe I just didn’t notice it?..

We got ours at Whole Foods, but I believe that Shaws also carries a bottled version. Keep a sharp eye out! :)

• Bianca S says:

We always get lemongrass in the Asian markets, if you have one in your neighborhood. The only thing is that they sell it in a pack of 5 stalks, so you may want to find other recipes that call for lemongrass :) Or, just freeze it :)

4. Rebecca Davis says:

I just made this with black raspberries and black cherries since strawberry season is over. Equally good. I think peaches would work well too. Now I’ve been envisioning the berries drizzled over vanilla ice cream or maybe on a shortcake… Not very medieval I know, but tasty! :)

And one other note: don’t look away from the pot – it doesn’t take much for it to start to boil. Learned that the hard way, trying to keep the kitchen neat.