“Seven courses were served, in honor of the seven gods and the seven brothers of the Kingsguard. The soup was made with eggs and lemons, the long green peppers stuffed with cheese and onions.” -A Dance with Dragons

Modern Stuffed Peppers

Our Thoughts:

Because this is a Dornish dish, we decided to use “fiery” green peppers. We didn’t have much luck finding an older recipe, but would be delighted to add it if we do!

The modern peppers are a mouth-watering explosion of hot peppers and cheese, deliciously textured by the cornflake topping.  One of our taste-testers commented that we had accidently stumbled on the best Jalapeno poppers he had ever had, but that they really needed a dipping sauce to round out the flavors. We agreed. Because poppers are usually served thus, we raided our freezer and heated some marinara. Dipped, the peppers were easily twice as delicious.

The dish is the perfect appetizer for a modern take on a Dornish dinner.

Modern Stuffed Peppers Recipe

• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
  • 15 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 tablespoon milk
  • 2-3 cups crushed corn flake cereal
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium baking sheet, or line with foil.
In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, and spices. Stuff jalapeno halves with the mixture.
Whisk together eggs and milk in a small bowl. Place crushed corn flake cereal in a separate small bowl.
Dip each stuffed jalapeno half into the egg and milk mixture, then roll in corn flake cereal to coat.
Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and lightly browned.

25 Responses to Stuffed Green Peppers

1. Michelle Sukup Jackson says:

These look awesome and I imagine can be adjusted to fit lots of different flavor profiles. I’m planning to try to add in bacon or blue cheese this weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes :)

2. The_Stargazer says:

Though “corn flakes” aren’t very Dornish.

Wonder if you could swap oats or something similar for the corn flakes.. Or maybe the bacon the previous poster suggested.

3. ducky says:

Yum! I second the breadcrumbs idea, though cornflakes are fine by me! Can’t wait to make these! I think I’ll try a nice pepper jack cheese with grilled jalapenos diced over top.

4. EP says:

These sound really good! Breadcrumbs sound more authentic, but the cornflakes sound super tasty too. Really going to have to try this out!

5. Shobbs says:

We wrap these in bacon, mmm

6. Michelle Sukup Jackson says:

So I did make these this past weekend and they were a huge hit! A group of us had them as a mid-afternoon snack to tide us over until dinner.

I used poblano peppers because my crazy neighborhood Market Basket hadn’t stocked jalepenos. The poblanos were obviously bigger, so I used only 5 poblanos. The amount of stuffing was perfect for this number of poblanos. I stuffed the peppers in the am, and dredged them in crushed cornflakes right before baking in the afternoon. I did end up adding chopped bacon to half of them – Awesome! I wish I had gotten my bacon a bit crispier though. I liked the cornflakes, but think they would have a bit better texture if I had crushed them finer than what the picture shows, still super tasty though!

These larger peppers could be made into a meal by adding a bit of shredded (or mashed) potato or silken tofu to the filling. My vegetarian friend suggested using nutritional yeast instead of cornflakes – I’ve never used it, so I can’t comment on its suitability. Getting out of the SOIF-y food here, but this recipe and variants will stay in my cookbook.

7. Lydia says:

Nutritional yeast has no relation to cornflakes in texture or flavor.Your vegetarian friend must have mean to substitute nutritional yeast for the cheese? Though that is a strange thing for a vegetarian to suggest, because they eat eggs and dairy (unless your friend is vegan).

Nutritional yeast taste tangy and salty, like cheese. It’s awesome to add to any dishes that could benefit from a salty, tangy, cheesy flavor. I add it to pastas and popcorn.

I’m going to try the peppers soon!

8. Delicious Edd says:

love the recipe, just want to advise that directions neglect to mention when the cumin and cayenne should be included.

9. Christine says:

These were great! I did a variation as an experiment. I added spicy shredded chicken and stuffed poblanos for a heartier meal version. I did some with cornflakes and some with standard breadcrumbs. The cornflakes won! :)

10. Blaine says:

I tried the recipe and they turned out very good but a word of advice while cutting up the peppers and removing the seeds and insides wear some latex gloves i didnt and my hands where on fire the entire day probably the worst pain I have ever felt

11. I made these for my GoT premiere party with crushed goldfish crackers and LOVEDDDD them. That time, I made them in bell peppers. They made great leftovers by the way.
    I’m making them again this weekend for Cinco de Mayo. ;)

12. Lana says:

These are sooooo good! love it.

13. Harbqll says:

This filling was lovely. I doubled the cayenne, and added about 1-1/2 tsp of minced garlic, and 1/2 tsp celery seed.

Had to keep true to the Cajun in me, cher…

14. Jonathan Stark says:

Made these tonight!

They are amazing: spicy but with a rich thickness from the cheese (sharp cheddar and cream cheese) that causes the spice to melt slowly on the tongue rather than overpower the senses. There’s a hint of “pepper jack” to the end flavor, but in a crunchy texture that would never come with any cheese. A great compliment to the BBQ, apple, and hickory infused pork pie I also made.

15. agadinmar says:

I bet Martin was making a reference to green chile (which is a hot long green pepper) when he came up with that dish. He’s from New Mexico and green chili is an obsession there.

16. carebear says:

I’ve made these twice so far and they were a big hit both times!

17. Sarah says:

If you want to make the lemon egg soup to go with it, I suggest this recipie:

Avgolemono seems simple and semi-historic. =)

I love how Martin lovingly pirates dishes we are actually familiar with, like “chickpea paste”. Doesn’t take much to realize that’s hummus! I bet this soup was what he referred to!
    Note– I do not have the IatC cookbook, so I do apologize if you ladies included a lemon egg soup already!

18. Victor says:

Ha, you won’t find an older recipe because peppers (hot and sweet) are from the new world, they weren’t around in midieval europe!

19. LINDA says:

spices go with the cheese

20. Amy says:

Avgolemeno is a Greek soup that is amazing. Any Greek restaurant will have it on their menu.

21. Broom says:

I’m going to attempt this tonight, but I will be using bell peppers (a guest cannot handle spicy foods) and coating them with crushed blue corn chips instead of corn flakes. I will report my findings soon.

22. mimi-louise says:

Just made these for our GOT finale watching get together… they were really tasty although my peppers weren’t very hot so next time i would add more chilli to the cream cheese mix. Also I used gluten free paleo bread as the crumb mixture and next time I would add powdered parmesan as well.

23. William Stark says:

Added some hot ground pork to these to make more of a main dish and left some pepper seeds in the mix. Very good with the Fiery Sauce from your cook book! Though I think a thicker sauce would be nice, the sweet and spicy citrus was great with the stuffed peppers! We sweated our way through dinner and a bottle of strong-wine.