“Fetch him some hot wine with cloves, I am misliking the sound of that cough.  Squeeze some lime in it as well.  And bring white cheese and a bowl of those cracked green olives we counted earlier!  Davos, I will join you soon, once I have bespoken our good captain.  You will be forgiving me, I know.  Do not eat all the olives, or I will be cross with you!” (III: 136)

Salladhor Saan’s Hot Wine

Our Thoughts:

This is a unique twist on a usual mulled wine recipe, resulting in something vaguely like a hot sangria. Each of the flavors takes its turn on the palate, from the initial burst of citrus to the semi-sting of cloves and pepper, while the bay leaves impart just a slight hint of earthiness. The vanilla and honey combine to sweeten out the tartness of the lime, rounding out the full taste experience of this drink.

A must try for those who like hot wine!

Salladhor Saan’s Hot Wine Recipe

Our changes: We chose to use a white wine, even though the wine in the book is a red.

• 1 lime, keep the peel and half the juice
  • 700 ml white fruity wine (that is 1 normal bottle)
  • 1-2 vanilla pods (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • ~10 whole cloves
  • pinch of ground cloves
  • pinch of white pepper
  • 3 -4 tablespoons honey
  • 6 tablespoons white port (optional)
Peel the lime, cut into small pieces, and juice half of it. Pour the wine in a pan, add the lime peel, lime juice, vanilla pods, cloves, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to just under a simmer. Lower the heat, cover the pan and leave to warm through for at least 15 minutes. Try to just keep it hot and not let it boil. Add 3 tablespoons of honey and the port, if using, then taste to see or you want to add more honey. Remove the vanilla pods, cloves, lime peel and the bay leaves. Serve in a heatproof glass.

13 Responses to Salladhor Saan’s Hot Wine

1. kate says:

i can’t wait to try this!

2. Zelanity says:

This sound really fantastic. I must invent an occasion for this drink. Hmm…

3. Westerosi Epicurean says:

This looks really good, but I am still partial to your earlier post for hot mulled wine. Amazing.

4. aria says:

I love the presentation!

5. Geek says:

I realize the whole point of this is to be served warm but I’m wondering if anyone has tried it chilled or at room temperature?

6. Lacey says:

What kind of wine did you guys use? I would think pinot grigio.

I don’t actually recall what kind of wine it was (but possibly a vino verde). I do know we asked at the wine store what kind of white would best go with lime. :)

7. Tony Jones says:

Hi guys,

Absolutely love this site! Great find!

My question is, the glass in the photo, where can I get one? It looks stunning.

Keep up the great work!

Tony

The glass is my father’s and it’s Bavarian crystal. He was extremely nervous about me using it, but finally relented for the sake of the blog. :)

8. Raj says:

Would “1 normal bottle” of wine not be 750mL?

9. Katethekate says:

First saw this last year and thought, huh, I’ll try that one of these days. Today was cold and gray and I got soaked to the skin coming home from work, so I figured, why not today? It’s pretty darn good, although a little odd. It is absolutely great with crackers and white cheese (I’ve got an aged provolone here). I may tweak the spices to my taste but I will be making this one again.